1263 - Agency and Locum Staffing and Finance
Request & Response:
Please provide the following information under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act.
1) For the financial years 2007/08, 2008/09, 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12, please specify:
a. the trust’s total revenue expenditure on staff salaries and wages
b. the total amount spent on agency staff salaries and wages
c. the expenditure on agency staff as a percentage of total paybill
2) For the financial years 2007/08, 2008/09, 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12, please specify the total amount spent by the trust on:
a. Locum doctors
b. Agency nurses or midwives
c. Freelance clerical staff
3) Please list the providers of locum and agency staff used by the Trust:
a. in the financial year 2011/12
b. at present
c. in the financial year 2005/6
4) If only one company is listed in answer to either 3a and 3b, can you confirm that the company in question was awarded an exclusive contract as the result of a competitive tender.
5) Does the Trust have any contractual or financial arrangement in place with NHS Professionals Ltd?
6) Please provide me with the number of staff who retired in the financial year 2011/12
7) Of the retirees you’ve listed in answer to Q6, please confirm how many were subsequently replaced by:
a. permanent, full-time member of staff
b. temporary agency or locum cover
8) Between January 2009 and the end of March 2012, what were the ten highest rates paid to agency staff for shifts? In each case, please specify:
a. the number of hours worked by the member of staff in question
b. the type of work carried out by the member of staff (i.e. the job role and the department)
c. the total amount paid for the shift
d. the organisation through which the shift was arranged (i.e. the locum agency, nurse bank or nurse recruitment agency in question).
a. How many locum doctors or agency nurses were employed to fill a vacancy in the financial year 2011/12?
b. Of the instances listed in part a, how many were advertised via the Trust’s website or nhs.jobs.uk beforehand?
10) Overtime: Please confirm if your trust has a policy which limits the amount of overtime, bank or locum work that staff working in the following divisions can take on in addition to their core duties:
Admin and clerical (including senior management)
AHP/HSS (Including scientific and technical roles)
Medical locums (with consultant costs identified separately)
Nursing (preferably split between qualified, unqualified and midwifery)
11) European Working Time Directive
a. Does the trust measure compliance with the European Working Time Directive?
b. If the answer to part a is yes, please tell me the percentage of staff shifts which are compliant with the European Working Time Directive.
c. Of your staff, how many have signed a waiver or opt out allowing them to work hours in excess of the limit set down by the European Working Time Directive. Please provide this figure as:
i. A total
ii. A percentage of your total workforce
12) Management consultants. During the financial years 2008/09, 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12, how much did the trust spend on:
a. external management consultants
b. external PR and communications?
13) Please list the recipients of the spending detailed in Q13a and Q13b.
The amount of time take to collate and prepare this information would exceed the fees regulations and an exemption under section 12 applies.
The appropriate limit:
Section 12 of the FOIA provides an exemption from a public authority’s obligation to comply with a request for information where the cost of compliance is estimated to exceed the appropriate limit.